Saturday, September 3, 2011

The drive to Yosemite

I left San Francisco around 9am after picking up my rental car. Having never driven in California before, it was a pretty interesting and scenic trip into Yosemite.

Upon leaving San Francisco, I was greated with heavy fog, and a very hilly landscape.



The farther I got from the city, the more the land turned into farmland.


I even passed a wind farm or two. I had heard of these before, but never actually seen a modern windmill in person.


With the state of California being broke and all, I guess painting lines on their interstates is to much to ask for?


Ah, a refreshing sight to see.


For the next 110 or so miles, this is what most of it was, a 2 lane, 55 zone. I believe you travel through 3 or 4 small cities which require you to slow down to 45, then 35, before back to 45, and then finally 55. That's why google says the drive takes so long.


The landscape started to show a little more elevation change.


Several roads have rock slide warnings posted. Also, when they warn you slow to 25 for a corner, they are being serious!


Never heard of this place before, but I saw several cars pulled over, so I joined them.


Sure had one amazing view looking into a valley


Finally after a little more driving, I made it!


Immediately into the park, this is what the driving looks like.


It's really hard to put the size of everything into perspective, so I used my tripod, and ran out into the field for a quick picture.


A little farther into the park, I see a dead area that must have been burned at some time in the past, so I snapped a couple pictures here as well.



Here's a little video showing the area. Watch in HD if you want better quality footage.


A couple miles father down the road, I see another turnoff with a large number of cars. I figured it must be some nice scenery, so I pulled off. That's where I got my first glimpse of the whole point of my trip...half dome!




Now what do you do if you see signs warning you that you're about to drive through a tunnel? Yeah, you bust out the camcorder!


Sadly is wasn't the tunnel that ends with an amazing view that I had heard about, but this still wasn't bad.

A couple more miles in, I pulled off the road to enjoy the scenery again. Yes, you're seeing a trend here. I think probably everyone driving into Yosemite for the first time probably does this. Anyone planning a trip better give yourself an extra 30 minutes or so if you're like me.



Found a nice stream a couple more miles in.



A couple more miles, I was officially into the Yosemite valley.





The view from the valley floor really is amazing in any direction you look.









No comments:

Post a Comment