Monday, September 5, 2011

The Four Mile Trail

On this day, I set out on my first "real" hike of any distance. The trail I picked was the Four Mile Trail. It take you from the valley floor, up to Glacier Point which I had heard has some amazing views. The first step was taking the shuttle from Curry Village to the El Capitan drop off point.


From there, just cross the street, and you're good to go.


Within a couple hours, I should be somewhere way up there.


The trail starts out giving you the thought, "Oh, this looks easy!"


I guess this is more the real starting point.


4.6 miles to go. That's not that far...right?





Now once on the trail, you quickly learn the term "switchback" which is a road or trail that follows a zigzag course on a steep incline.

Here's a little video I shot showing you this.


That video, as well as the next picture shows a majority of what the trail looks like. I saw the number before, but you really don't understand what 3,200 feet in elevation increase is like until you experience it.


Only a short time into the trail, and several switchbacks later, you're already getting a little high.


More of what some of the trail looks like.

Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls in the distance. I started using the falls as a guide as how far up I was getting.

Me taking a quick granola bar break.


Alright, looks like I'm making progress in regards to my height compared to the falls.


All those trees in the valley sure are getting small.


More of the trail.


By my look, I think I'm at least half way up now.



Here's a video I shot showing both upper and lower Yosemite Falls, plus zooming in on the area I was playing around at the day prior.



That valley floor sure is looking small down there.



Looking down at a steeper part of the trail at some of the prior switchbacks.


There were lots of these small bushes that have this red bark that is very smooth.


3/4ths the way up now maybe?


Quick break to relax, and also phone Dad to say hi.


View looking down.


The sun was still low enough that parts of the trail were still in the shade.

I'm getting there.


No safety nets on the edges. This isn't a family theme park.

You can see some people ahead of me, and get an idea of how the trail is a constant elevation increase.


Plenty of trees were covered in this neon green moss.


The moss was also on the cliffs.

The sun was starting to peak out between the cliffs.

Alright, I think I'm about as high as the upper falls now. I WIN!

More to go? :(

Ok, yeah, I'm definitely taller than the falls now.

Spectacular view from up here, and I'm not even to the top yet.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308807_10150281745541274_6193951_n.jpg http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/308807_10150281745541274_715186273_8058075_6193951_n.jpg
Hope you're not scared of heights.


No question now, I'm taller.


Bear, bobcat, deer? Who knows?

Ah, half dome, we meet again.


Oh I wish everyone could smell this. It was the most vivid and amazing pine smell ever.

Still has tree sap on it.


Me and my goal, to climb half dome.

More of the neon moss.


Nature slowly breaking down the dead to make way for the new.

Cliffs are gone now, I should be getting close to the top.


FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!


First order of business was to swing into the gift shop/snack shop and down two of these bad boys.


Then we enjoy the view. Here's looking down at Curry Village. Right at the edge of light/dark, you can see the pool. More towards the cliff area, you can see the massive rock slide they had several years ago, and that explains why about 1/3rd of Curry Village isn't used any more, for safety reasons.

2 more days till I climb Half Dome.


Check out this video. Once I zoom in, you can make out some people walking around on the top of Half Dome. It really gives you an idea how large it is.





Ah, the famous hanging rock at Glacier Point There is a famous picture from the late 1800s of a couple standing on the rock. They no longer allow that.






Here's a little panoramic video I shot at Glacier Point.





Prepare to get educated.


Another panoramic video from another view point.



I'll be up close and personal with these falls when I hike Half Dome.


This would have been an awesome place to stay at. Sadly it's no more.



So I had made it to the top, and enjoyed the view. Now what?

Well the plan was to take a different trail down. The panorama trail takes you down a less steep trail, past some waterfalls, and finally to the valley floor. It's about 6-8 miles if I remember correctly. However, by the time I made it up to Glacier Point, relaxed, took some pics/videos, etc it was now 4 or 5pm. The last shuttle had already left for the valley.

Hmmm, that only leaves one option. People can drive to Glacier Point. It's a winding, curvy road, that is probably 20 plus miles, and due to the speed limit, takes you a good 45 minutes. So, I chilled by the parking lot asking people if they were headed to the valley, and had a spare seat.

About 30 minutes and several "No's" later, I got a yes....sorta. This nice Canadian couple in their 40 or so were driving down to the valley, but told me they had no back seat in their van. I would have to sit on the floorboard. I didn't care, it was a ride down, and I was way to tired to hike back down. As we get to their van, I see what they mean. They removed both the mid, and rear rows of seating, and were literally camping in their van. They had stopped at Mt St Helens, the Grand Canyon, and other sites along the way.

I won't lie, I get motion sickness sometimes. Come to find out, sitting on the floor of a minivan while on the most curvy of roads I've ever been on will trigger this. About 1/3rd the way into the drive, they decide to pull over and check out the scenery. Good, fresh air!!!

They were currently some forest fires in Yosemite while I was there, and this viewpoint shows the smoke in the air.




Here's a little video showing more of the smoke from the forest fires.


A little farther into the drive, we ended up going through Yosemite's famous tunnel, and then stopping just outside it at the famous Tunnel View Overlook.

Here's a video showing you some of the view from the tunnel view overlook.





View looking back into the tunnel.


I was back to Curry Village within an hour of leaving Glacier Point. Sure beats walking. However now I felt like crap partially due to some Canadian's crazy driving, partially due to not eating enough, and possibly some due to the heat/sun. I took about an hour nap, and felt much better. I then made a trip over to get another sausage pizza from the pizza patio. After that and a Dr Pepper, I was back to my normal self. I got to bed at a good time with lots of plans for the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment