Monday, January 23, 2012

Snorkeling at Akumal Beach

Here's how I got to Akumal. A short 4 minute walk from the hostel, is where the collectivos load up. There's basically church vans that run up the down highway 307. You can head as south as Tulum from Playa for 35 pesos.


Just tell the driver Akumal, and they drop you off on the side of the highway. Just cross the highway using the walk way...


...and continue heading towards the beach. It's all of a 5 minute walk.


Find a nice spot under a palm, and relax. :)





The rules:


The locals:


I brought with me my Gopro, and decided to use it to see what sort of pictures and videos I could get. Here's a couple good videos of the local sea turtles:





...and a couple pictures from the day.





























After I was done snorkeling, I head towards the left hand side of the beach, so a rocky shore line a half mile or so away.







Here's the walk back towards the highway.



...and just about there.

3 comments:

  1. Snorkeling is recommended to those who are still afraid of the open water. There’s no need for you to go deep to see the fishes and the corals. No apparatus needed; only decent swimming skills are required. This is also good if you want to try scuba diving later on. Start with something easier but just as fun.

    Donna Parsley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said...and it's so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've been itching to go back to Kauai ever since we returned home! I'll bet that snorkeling in Cozumel was absolutely beautiful :-)

    Cressi scuba diving equipment dive computer diving instruments regulator BC mask fins snorkel snorkeling water

    ReplyDelete